Division A Director Candidate 2022-2023
Candidate’s Name: Abosede George, DTM
Toastmasters member since: February 2018
Education: Bachelor of Science – University of Guyana
Toastmasters offices held and terms of service:
- SAA – Toastmasters of Centerville – July 2018 to June 2019
- Treasurer – Toastmasters of Centerville – July 2019 to June 2020
- Vice President of Public Relations – Mercer Smooth Talkers – July 2020 to June 2021
- President – Toastmasters of Centerville – July 2020 to June 2021
- Area Director A12 – July 2019 to June 2020
- Club mentor – United Toastmasters
- District 14 Club Retention Chair 2020-2021
Toastmasters honors and recognition:
- Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM – Traditional Program)
- President’s Distinguished club
- Super Achiever (and Triple Crown) recipient each year since becoming a Toastmaster
- Area Director of the month (twice)
- Engaging Humor (L1-5)
- Persuasive Influence (L1-5)
- Team Collaboration (L1-5)
- Strategic Relationships (L1-5)
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a District leader:
Having served as an Area Director under an extremely successful and knowledgeable Division Director, I was afforded the opportunity to learn from the best. I intend to model my own term based on the examples provided and the knowledge gained over the years.
What experience do you have in strategic planning?
While serving as an Area Director,I strategized with the clubs to achieve their DCP goals, with my Area Council to achieve Area goals and with my officers at the club level to grow the clubs.
What experience do you have in the area of finance?
I served as the finance co-chair for Ousley UMC Women’s group for 1 year and as the high school’s swim team booster club chair for two years.
What experience do you have in developing procedures?
In my current role as an IT professional, I develop procedures to reduce and eliminate recurring issues. This helps to mitigate downtime.
What lessons did you learn from previous leadership positions?
One of the biggest lessons learned is to listen more than I speak.
Why do you want to serve as a District leader?
Having served as an Area Director, this is the next natural step in District Leadership. My desire is to continue to stretch and grow outside of the club, while sharing my knowledge and experience with my fellow Toastmasters,
In your opinion, what are the District mission’s major objectives and how would you work to achieve them?
To continuously fulfil its mission of building new clubs and helping all clubs achieve excellence. This can be achieved my doing my part and encouraging and supporting my fellow Toastmasters to do theirs.
Additional information about yourself:
My hobbies include reading and watching tennis, and of course, attending Toastmasters club meetings!